If you’re a CDL driver, you know that getting a DOT physical is a mandatory part of maintaining your license. When it comes to getting a DOT physical, there are various options. However, the two most popular include a testing facility and an urgent care clinic.
Do you know which might be better suited for your specific needs? Both have pros and cons, but ultimately, it’s up to you to decide which is best. Our team in Gwinnett County can help break down the two options so you can make an informed decision about completing your DOT physical.
Differences in the Two Main DOT Physical Testing Options
When you need a DOT physical, you have two primary options: testing facilities and urgent care centers.
Depending on where you go, you might experience a few differences, including:
- Varying testing prices – Wherever you go to complete your physical, you’ll have to pay a fee. However, the prices can vary greatly from facility to facility. You might even have no cost if you are covered by health insurance.
- Possible discounted rates – Most urgent cares don’t promote discounts for their services. However, a testing facility can set its prices and offer various discounts to get the testing you need at an affordable price.
- Appointment times – Convenience is everything when trying to schedule a DOT physical appointment. You may have long wait times at an urgent care facility, so the appointment you scheduled could be hours after you arrive. Fortunately, at a testing facility, we will partner with you to book a time that matches your schedule.
- Receiving the results – You can receive the results after a few days or as soon as a few hours for most DOT-compliant physicals.
- Testing duration – While DOT physicals are extremely important, they don’t take long to complete. In fact, at ARCpoint Labs of Atlanta Northeast, we can complete your test and have you on your way in about 45 minutes, from start to finish.
- Health insurance – If you require a walk-in DOT physical but don’t have insurance, it’s important to check in advance on how much the appointment will cost. Doing so can help prevent any surprises during the checkout process.
It is essential to ensure that the location providing your DOT physical meets all necessary personal and federal criteria to do so and that they are approved in the state and the surrounding Gwinnett County area.
3 Reasons to Trust a Testing Facility with Your DOT Testing & Physical
1. A Testing Facility Can Accommodate Your Schedule
Urgent care centers can be a great option for non-emergency healthcare needs, but you should always consider the schedule when considering a medical service. For example, if you need to schedule a DOT physical, many urgent cares may not have the qualifications necessary to provide this type of exam or may not offer it as a walk-in service. This could lead to longer wait times and inconvenience even if the financial costs are lower than seeing a doctor’s office specializing in DOT physicals. Ultimately, while an urgent care center may seem like an economical alternative in certain circumstances, it might not have the available service you need.
A DOT-approved testing facility like ARCpoint Labs of Atlanta Northeast can accommodate various schedules and quickly get you in and out. We understand that getting this annual exam can be daunting, but our professionals are qualified to help you stay compliant so that you can get back on the road.
2. Testing Facilities Can Usually See You on Short Notice and Cut the Wait Time
DOT physicals offer drivers the peace of mind that their physical abilities are up to federal standards, and with DOT-approved testing facilities, it’s never been easier to get an appointment quickly. Testing facilities like ARCpoint Labs of Atlanta Northeast can usually accommodate shorter wait times, meaning you don't have to wait for days before you can get your DOT physical completed. With DOT-approved testing facilities prepared to see you on short notice, confirming your ability to drive safely is a breeze.
3. A Testing Facility Can Check Your Blood Pressure, Heart Rate, Vision, and More
A DOT physical is an important first step in assessing a driver’s overall fitness to drive a commercial vehicle. Urgent care facilities that can complete DOT physicals typically check blood pressure, heart rate, and vision. Often, a urinalysis isn’t performed, but it is a vital part of the physical.
A testing facility will check a driver’s vital signs, including:
- Blood pressure and heart rate: We measure your systolic and diastolic pressure levels and ensure a regular heart rate.
- Hearing: CDL drivers must be able to hear a harsh whisper at a maximum distance of 5 feet with or without hearing assistance from a hearing aid.
- Urinalysis: We administer a urinalysis to detect any underlying medical conditions like urinary tract infection, kidney disease, diabetes, etc.
- Vision: A minimum acuity of 20/40 in each eye is required for all CDL drivers to pass the vision test. They must also have at least 70 degrees of peripheral vision in each eye.
Our technicians use specialized DOT physical testing equipment to provide these physical assessments. DOT-certified drivers can access all the necessary information to pass the DOT physical screening and safely get back on the highway.
What’s Needed for Your Physical Examination?
Make Sure to Bring Your Medical History
When you walk into ARCpoint Labs of Atlanta Northeast for your DOT physical, you are required to bring along a full list of your medications taken and past medical history. This is essential for our staff serving Gwinnett County to determine if you are medically fit to operate a commercial vehicle. It’s important to have an up-to-date list of any prescribed medicines that could impair day-to-day driving or operating motorized vehicles.
Additionally, any pre-existing conditions must also be disclosed before taking a DOT physical so that practical tests can be undertaken, ensuring safety while on the road. Make sure to bring your medical history with you when you go for DOT testing so that it can be accessed and reviewed by our professionals.
Be Honest About Any Health Concerns
Being forthright when discussing any health concerns with us during your DOT physical is vital. This can enable us to determine whether or not you are qualified to drive safely and effectively. Regardless of how it affects the DOT physical exam results, honesty is essential for providing an accurate evaluation. Be sure to communicate honestly and openly about current or past medical conditions. You will help ensure your DOT physical evaluation is comprehensive and meaningful.
For Rapid & Accurate DOT Testing Results, ARCpoint Labs of Atlanta Northeast is Here!
When you need a DOT physical, our testing facility serving Gwinnett County offers affordable, convenient, and comprehensive testing services. We can help reduce your wait time and get you in and out in less than an hour. You can trust that we’ll perform accurate blood pressure, heart rate, urinalysis, and vision screenings so that you can stay DOT-compliant.To schedule a DOT physical near you, contact our team today at (470) 458-3201.