For 4.88 million Americans with chronic dry eyes, living with the condition can be uncomfortable and, often, painful. Store-bought eye drops can only do so much when you’re struggling with conditions that can make seeing (and even living a normal life) difficult. When you’re unable to naturally create tears or provide natural eye lubrication from conditions like Sjögren syndrome and diabetes, ARCpoint Labs of Atlanta Northeast has a treatment to help.
Our Autologous Blood Serum Eye Drops (ABSEDs) is our patented technology to ensure closed system sterilization that helps relieve minor and severe dry eye caused by certain conditions. How? We use your own blood serum to operate like your natural tears, so there’s no fear of your body rejecting it, resulting in further irritation.
We partner with ophthalmologists and optometrists to create your individual treatment program. Once your eye doctor determines that serum tears is a good alternative for you they will write you a prescription for us to formulate your supply of eye drops.
What Are ABSEDs Treatment?
Pain and vision loss may follow when someone is dealing with an ocular surface disorder. It’s not uncommon for many practitioners to offer ABSED treatment as an end-stage option when it could have been more useful in the earlier stages of a manageable ocular surface condition. Typically, ABSEDs contain vitamins, growth factors, blood protein, antioxidants, and electrolytes. As a result, you get a solution that mimics and is almost identical to basal tears.
The procedure to develop ABSEDs includes:
- Extracting blood from a client
- Putting the specimen in a sterile vacutainer tube
- Allowing the blood to clot for several hours
- Centrifuging at 4,500 RPM for 15 minutes
This process is extremely important to ensure the viability of the serum, and it may vary depending on the additives. The typical cost of ABSEDs is between $15 to $20 for 15 milliliters (ml) vials. Still, the blood draw could have its own associated costs that an insurance provider may or may not cover.
What Conditions Does It Treat?
ABSED is a solution for various chronic conditions, mechanical traumas, and corneal changes after surgery. We see clients with varying pre-existing conditions that directly and indirectly cause dry eye.
Some of those conditions include:
- Dry Eye Syndrome – Dry eye syndrome is usually a result of a person’s natural tears being unable to adequately lubricate the eyes. This common condition is caused by allergic reactions, hormone changes, inflamed eyelid glands, or autoimmune diseases.
- Epithelial Defects – Individuals living with herpes, diabetes, alkali burns, or other conditions are prone to epithelial defects that can cause chronic corneal dryness.
- Neurotrophic Keratitis – The herpes simplex virus I and herpes zoster virus are two common causes of neurotrophic keratitis. Someone living with this ailment could lose corneal sensation, have healing impairments, and develop corneal ulcers.
- Post-Surgical Changes – Surgical procedures performed on the eyes must be done accurately and precisely, or the patient may lose function and experience severe side effects. The healing process can be arduous, leading to chronic dryness and irritation.
- Corneal Trauma/Abrasions – Any corneal damage or abrasions can directly cause issues with natural tear production, resulting in dry eye.
A professional should be consulted to assess any of the above problems. Avoid purchasing artificial tear treatments or drops, as they may cause further trauma.
Why Serum Tears May Work for You
It’s an All-Natural Solution
Unlike many artificial eye drops that aren’t stock full of antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, our ABSED treatment uses a sample of your own makeup to alleviate pain, itchiness, and irritation. This solution is all-natural and formulated to meet your high-quality standards. We can create ABSEDs on-site to offer quick relief for many corneal ailments that contribute to dry eye.
It’s Great for Short-Term or Long-Term Use
Individuals seeking serum eye treatments require a prescription from a practitioner for long-term or short-term use, depending on the eye condition’s severity. Most people only need one 15 ml bottle of ABSEDs to clear up dry eyes and help the body produce adequate eye lubrication. However, some individuals may need constant doses to relieve dryness and irritation during a condition flair-up.
Many over-the-counter options have chemicals that shrink blood vessels and reduce redness and irritation. However, over time, these chemicals could permanently enlarge blood vessels, resulting in worsening dry and red eyes. With our ABSED treatments, we customize the serum with specific vitamins and antioxidants to accommodate dry eyes brought on by a specific corneal condition.
Contact us or call (470) 458-3201 today to find out how you can relieve dry eyes once and for all.