As a growing number of employers become more aware of the risks of employee drug and alcohol use, many are implementing a variety of proactive measures to keep their business safe, productive, and profitable. Drug use in the workplace can have a detrimental effect on efficacy, team morale, client satisfaction, and overall safety, putting employers in danger of serious liability issues and potentially damaging incidents – but tackling the challenge head-on is the best approach.
Drug testing in the workplace is a highly effective way to reduce employee drug use, so it makes sense that more and more employers are making it part of their policies and procedures. During the hiring process, requiring job candidates to pass a pre-employment drug test as a condition of employment is a smart, simple way to safeguard against the problems caused by workplace drug use.
What is a Pre-Employment Drug Test?
A pre-employment drug test is precisely what it sounds like: a drug test administered before an official offer of employment is extended. If the candidate fails the drug test, the employer may choose to rescind any preliminary offer and end the hiring process.
There are many different types of pre-employment drug tests, each one using one of a few different methods to detect the presence of varying combinations of substances.
What Drugs do Pre-Employment Drug Screenings Test For?
Depending on the specific circumstances (for example, the job position being considered), a pre-employment drug screening may be designed to test for many different substances. The most common drugs analyzed on a pre-employment drug test include:
- THC (marijuana)
- Phencyclidine (PCP)
- Opiates (heroin, morphine, codeine, etc.)
Each employer may choose to customize the panel of drugs being tested for according to their specific work or job requirements.
How Does Pre-Employment Drug Screening Work?
Pre-employment drug tests are typically quick, hassle-free, and easy to implement for companies both large and small. Usually, an employer will work with their lab provider to select a testing method that fits their ideal circumstances, choosing one of the following:
- Oral fluid drug testing is among the least invasive testing methods, requiring just a quick swab collection from the patient’s inner cheek. An oral test can distinguish the presence of alcohol and drugs immediately after use and for up to two days after.
- Urine drug testing has a detection window of about three to five days or longer depending on usage, and utilizes a moderate sample of urine. It is usually used to detect opioids, PCP, cocaine, benzodiazepines, amphetamines, methamphetamines, THC, and other commonly abused drugs.
- Nail drug testing analyzes nail clippings for a range of illicit drugs and can detect usage as far back as one year.
- Hair drug testing is a highly reliable method for detecting drug use within a 90-day window.
Typically, results can be processed within 1-2 days to provide employers with the information needed to make a quick decision.
Trust ARCpoint Labs of Austin North for Fast, Accurate Employee Drug Testing
If you’re an employer searching for a reliable testing solution to implement in your drug-free workplace, ARCpoint Labs of Austin North offers a variety of customizable options to suit your needs. Among our most popular workplace screenings are the 5- and 10-panel tests, which are an excellent option for pre-employment, post-incident, and random drug tests. We also provide several other test types and are happy to help you select the choice that best fits your company.
Contact ARCpoint Labs of Austin North today to learn more about our employer lab testing solutions and how we can help you protect your company from the dangers of employee drug use.
Image Credit: one photo