- A COVID antibody test checks your blood for antibodies, parts of the immune system that help protect you against the coronavirus.
- The purpose of an antibody test is to tell you if you’ve already had COVID-19 in the past.
When your body fights off an infection, it makes antibodies, specialized hunters that search and destroy specific invaders. This also happens when you get sick with COVID-19. Your body learns to produce antibodies to defend against it. COVID vaccines work in the same way, helping you build up immunity, at least for a while. A COVID antibody test can tell you if you’ve already recovered from the coronavirus.
What Is a COVID Antibody Test?
There are three main types of antibodies that your body creates during and after a COVID-19 infection: IgA, IgM, and IgG. Immunoglobulin M antibodies are usually created during the infection, and immunoglobulin G takes a while longer. It can take anywhere from 1–3 weeks after having COVID-19 to have antibodies.
COVID-19 IgG/IgM antibody testing can let you know if you’ve recovered from the coronavirus. It can also tell you whether you’ve been exposed to COVID-19 in the past. About 30% of people who get COVID-19 don’t have any symptoms, so a COVID antibody test may be one of the only ways to find out.
What Happens During a COVID-19 Antibody Test?
The COVID-19 antibody test itself is simple and quick. It involves extracting a small amount of blood to analyze, often with a finger prick. You should get your results back the same day.
Why Get a COVID Antibody Test?
A famous quote says that “knowledge is power.” This is true when it comes to COVID testing. What you discover can help you make smart decisions:
- Protecting your family: If a COVID antibody test reveals that you’ve had the virus, it can mean that family members may have it, too. This can help you take care of the people you love, especially if they have respiratory problems or other risk factors.
- Taking care of important needs: If you have COVID antibodies, you may be able to handle important tasks, so other members of the family don’t have to take risks, such as buying groceries for older parents or grandparents.
- Contributing to a safe working environment: If you can show your employer that you’ve already recovered from COVID-19, getting back to work may be easier. Of course, you should still follow COVID guidelines at your workplace, such as wearing personal protective equipment.
- Feeling peace of mind: If you’ve already recovered successfully from COVID, you can breathe a little easier. COVID antibodies don’t mean you’re 100% immune from getting sick with a COVID strain, but they can provide a significant level of protection against severe symptoms.
How Long Are People Immune After Having COVID-19?
Recent information from the National Institutes of Health suggests that the majority of people who recover from COVID-19 have a durable immunity that lasts at least eight months. It’s possible that this immunity lasts even longer, including years, but more research is needed to be sure.
Where Can You Get a High-Quality COVID-19 Antibody Test in Martinez, CA?
It’s important to choose a testing lab you trust when getting a COVID antibody test. This is because, while rare, false positives or negatives can happen. Our experienced technicians and highly specific COVID-19 antibody tests are trustworthy. Schedule an appointment at ARCpoint Labs of Martinez for expert COVID-19 IgG/IgM antibody testing.