Written by ARCpoint Labs of Woburn, MA owner, Matt Pappas
There are many reasons that we believe employers need to perform background checks and the five listed below are just to name a few!
- Hiring. Requiring a background check as part of the employment process may deter applicants that have something to hide. This step may decrease the number of unqualified applicants, allowing you to focus efforts on qualified applicants. You will attract applicants that want to work in a safe environment, and for an employer that values their safety.
- Workplace Violence. Each year 1.75 million days of work are lost by victims of workplace violence. The cost to businesses for workplace violence comes at a very high price, around $55 million per year in lost wages. Incidents like this destroy employee productivity as well. Companies that do not perform background screenings may be putting employees at risk, and otherwise invite repeat offenders into the workplace unknowingly.
- Employee Dishonesty. Research shows almost 30% of employees admit to stealing from their employers in the past. When applying a background screening, an employer can look into the applicant’s history of stealing or run-ins with the law, and decide whether disqualify that candidate all together.
- Federal and State Mandates. Employers need to use every legal tool at their disposal to learn about an applicants and make the correct hiring choices. If you follow the rules put together by EEOC and the FCRA, background checks are legal and often expected by many applicants. Use them to clarify the hiring process and find the right person for the job.
- Success. The ultimate goal to building any business is success, and that begins with trust. Background screenings ensure that what an applicant tells you about their past is in fact true. Employers benefit knowing they’ve created a safer and more secure work environment that is staffed by qualified employees.
To learn more about background checks with ARCpoint Labs of Woburn, MA and why we think they are essential in the workplace, call 781.460.6020 or visit www.ARCpointLabs.com/Woburn.